Brexit: how will Seabase deliveries work from 1st January 2021
From 1st January 2021 here is how orders within the EU are processed:
- seabase.eu ships from the UK.
- Customers outside the UK pay prices excluding VAT.
- To tell the website you should not pay VAT simply select the correct country under the ‘Pay Now’ area of the site.
- DHL/FedEx/TNT will ship to you and send you a message to say your parcel is being cleared by EU Customs – this is sometimes done before it leaves Seabase to save you delivery time.
- EU Customs will re-charge you the VAT that we did not charge you. However that VAT will be at your country’s prevailing rate. Customs or DHL/UPS/FedEx/TNT etc. may charge you a small administration fee for this service which is normally around 14 euros. Seabase has no control of your local country’s clearance fees or VAT rate.
- If you are VAT registered in your home country then of course this is no cost to you.
Do products cost you more after Brexit?
Not really – the pricing is pretty much the same. The UK VAT rate is 20% and this is what you used to pay. EU countries have VAT rates between 19% and 25% so you may pay a little more or a little less VAT when your order arrives. The clearance fee charged by your country is a fee we do not have control over – this varies. For example in the UK this fee can be negotiated with the shipping country.